Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter Ditches the Egg

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Twitter is getting rid of the egg avatar. Harry McCracken, writing at Co.Design:

Starting today, however, the egg is history. Twitter is dumping the tarnished icon for a new default profile picture–a blobby silhouette of a person’s head and shoulders, intentionally designed to represent a human without being concrete about gender, race, or any other characteristic. Everyone who’s been an egg until now, whatever their rationale, will automatically switch over.

I’m super excited to have these weird Dot candy looking silhouette’s call me names.

2. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Still looks kinda egg-y :x

3. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Read this as "bloody" and thought it was an early April Fools joke hahaha

Schooner likes this.
  4. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

"So, we have a lot of harassment from new/throw away accounts with egg profile pictures. How can we fix that? I know! Let's change the default avatar, that'll solve everything!" - Twitter 2017

5. CMilliken

Trusted

And still no edit feature....

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

why'd they ignore Kim

CMilliken likes this.
  7. Raku

Regular

Okay, I've stayed neutral or defended Twitter on some of their changes or even policies that people attack/criticize them for.

However in this case, I just can't. Seriously, this is just dumb on two accounts. First like @Timmiluvs said, if this is cause most idiot running around have the default egg icons, this won't really change a thing, it will just give a new face to a group of idiots. Secondly this is dumb because it takes away from the brand itself, making it more generic to any other social media platform out there.

Honestly, I look at the "new avatar" on that site, and I think of Facebook, or YouTube instead of Twitter which the egg did a good job at doing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, on the list of things they do need, Twitter needs an edit button. I'm sick of deleting and re-tweeting tweets because I misspelled something, or forgot something important in 140 characters (or less).

8. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

twitter consistently makes design decisions that i think i would recognize are stupid if i were a 7 year old and also spoke no human language

Raku likes this.
  9. dvdjmskng

The horizon is my home... Supporter

This makes literally no sense. Apart from the fact that anonymous faceblobs can still dish out abuse, the whole of Twitter revolves around that silly little bird. You started off as an egg. The home button is a birdhouse. You tap a feather icon to Tweet.

I feel like they're pissing about, making changes which have no actual consequence, rather than dealing with the many problems faced by Twitter.

Raku, CMilliken, Jason Tate and 3 others like this.