Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Joss Whedon in Talks to Helm Batgirl Movie

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Variety is reporting that Joss Whedon is in talks to write and direct a Batgirl movie:

Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce an untitled Batgirl pic for Warner Bros. as part of its DC Extended Universe.

No other producers are currently attached. Toby Emmerich, president and chief content officer of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, is overseeing with Jon Berg and Geoff Johns. The new project originated in the past month.

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Said this elsewhere, but man, even though Batgirl is my favorite DC character by far, and Whedon has done a lot of stuff I enjoy, and a lot of his style on Buffy and Avengers is perfect for Barbara Gordon...

This prospect worries me almost as much as it excites me. Whedon gets so much hype for writing women, but he's really not as good at it as people sometimes act like he is. Lots of problematic writing in his career. I shudder at the Killing Joke flashback crap he could end up putting in here.

Plus, men considered for female superhero films are rough when women don't even to get considered for male superhero films.

Get Gail Simone as a cowriter and executive producer, and I'm in. (I mean, I'm in regardless 'cause, come on, A BATGIRL MOVIE OH MY GOSH, but the right collaborator would subdue a lot of my fears.)

Aregala and Turkeylegz like this.
  3. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Very excited about this. Know it will be a while, but going to be pretty stoked to see who would get cast for the role.

4. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

OMG this is the most amazing thing ever! She is the best. Now we just need Batwoman.

5. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

He's done some good stuff, this could be pretty neat.

6. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

This could be a DC movie worth watching!

7. Tim

Where's @Jason Tate with his hot take on this? I really enjoy a lot of Whedon's style, but we really need more people who aren't convinced that Whedon is some perfect saint of female action storytelling, lol.

8. Haha, I've been the one saying Whedon isn't super great for years and kinda overrated! That's not a hot take! (Firefly isn't very good is a hot take!) I'm excited for Batgirl though.

Tim likes this.
  9. Tim

I'm excited, too. I LOVE Batgirl...

IMG_7877.JPG

...but, while I like a lot of Whedon, including the unpopular Age of Ultron, what he did with Black Widow there has me VERY nervous he'll do something gross w/ Killing Joke. *shutter*

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

we'll see. i've always felt Whedon is a bit overrated, and am not sold on his writing for women either. seems like in a lot of cases that just means "women kicking shit" and not necessarily writing complicated or interesting characters (of any gender)