Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Play Final Show

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Yellowcard played their final show over the weekend. A video of the band’s final speech and performance of “Ocean Avenue” has made its way online.

An incredible career, an incredible catalog, and incredible memories. Thanks for everything Yellowcard.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

yea this really made me tear up. Band meant a lot to me in High School and still does today

Mr. Serotonin and Jason Tate like this.
  3. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I swear I've been seeing stuff about this band breaking up/doing something final for like two straight years

4. JohnnyStacks

Regular

That gave me the feels. I remember when I was in high school, I swear that every show I went to they just happened to be the openers. Weird that that was almost 20 years ago.

5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

its been a year, they announced a final record which came out in october, and a final tour to support that record

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

RIPYC.

Gonna miss them so much.

7. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

Same here. I got OFTK in 8th grade and was wearing a Yellowcard t-shirt when I met my first girlfriend while working my first "job." And that was even before Ocean Avenue came out. They were the first band I actually watched get big, and I can't believe their journey is just now winding down. What a great catalogue.

Jason Tate and teebs41 like this.
  8. Mr. Serotonin Mar 27, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 27, 2017)
    Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I never knew pop/punk or pop/rock like YC existed until I heard Ocean Avenue in a mall in Kansas City. Can't thank them enough for introducing me to the genre, and for ultimately getting me into music.

:concerned::verysad:

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

Echoing all of these sentiments. Ocean Avenue was instrumental for me during my first few years of college. I still get those nostalgic chills each time the opening notes to "Way Away" come on. I can honestly say that I enjoyed each album this band released to varying degrees and never passed on a chance to see them live whenever they came near me. Yellowcard was such a great source of joy for this scene.

Jason Tate and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  10. jorbjorb

7 rings

awesome way to go out. farewell guys.

11. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

such a great farewell. thanks for everything YC!

12. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Great career, great band. They will be missed, but I will cherish their music and the memories for years to come. Thanks for everything!

teebs41 likes this.
  13. peoplearepoison

It’s a perfect day for letting go... Supporter

Never was a big fan, but I remember seeing that video on TRL back in the day. So crazy.

14. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Great farewell. I can't believe how long I've been listening to this band.

Jason Tate likes this.
  15. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

Wish I could have been there for the last show considering it's right around the corner from me.

Fuck, that was hard to watch. I teared up. Besides Jimmy Eat World, this band was one of the first bands I ever remember giving a shit about. One of those bands where you hear one song and you NEED to get their whole discography. Been with them since hearing that first song way back when. Was shocked when they called it a day last time but had a feeling they'd be back. Loved the Big If stuff in between and was stoked when they came back. This time it's real and we won't be getting any more music from them and that bums me out, hard! These guys seem to have always been around, always been there when I needed their music, for whatever was going on in my life at the time that needed it. Even if it was just to jam something in my car all summer long. I'm seriously going to miss these guys.

Really hope that at some point they will release some kind of b-sides album or cut songs or album outtakes, just so we can have more songs... but I doubt it'll happen now.

RoKKeR and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  16. RoKKeR

The Fly

It was an incredible thing to witness... it was the perfect way to go out. After they finished Ocean Avenue they started to play Fields and Fences over the PA with the flood lights on. The entire audience stayed, sung along, laughed, cried, and cheered. Sean and Mendez came back out for just a while longer to say one last goodbye. It was pretty damn emotional. There's a reason why I've only listened to that song only a handful of times before... it wrecks me.

And what a show to go out on. The setlist was incredible, spanning (almost) the entire discography with each major album getting 2 or more songs represented. The song that came out of nowhere and punched me in the face was Rivertown Blues... hadn't heard it since the Southern Air tour and it completely shredded. Same goes for Cut Me, Mick, which is one of my all-time favorites of theirs. So happy to hear that live.

I am going to miss these guys so damn much. I graduate college in just one month and these guys have been a part of my life since I started listening to my own music. I've been to countless shows and have followed them closely with my dad and my brother. It was a stark reminder that things are about to change a lot for me, but the music these guys gave the world will exist forever, and I couldn't be more thankful for that fact.

17. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Excited/anxious to watch this after work. Bummer I wasn't able to see them on their final tour. I find that I listen to a band less when I know they aren't a thing anymore. Happened with Thrice, Thursday, MCS, Underoath, and so on. I hope I don't do this with YC.

18. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

You can also watch a clip of the moment I started crying, after the show, when the crowd started singing and wouldn't leave even though the band had left (sean and ryan eventually came back out, in tears)

19. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I've never been a big YC fan outside of the occasional song.

I saw them live last year, though, and was completely blown away. Even as a non-fan, their energy and musicianship and absolute ownership of the stage and crowd was amazing. Super, super great show.

Bryan Diem and earthlight like this.
  20. MightyBrian

This is where I am suppose to write something cool Prestigious

I saw another video did Big If really open for them or was it just that one song?

21. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Absolutely love this band, like so many, Ocean Avemue was my first exposure to them and I was in love from that moment on. So many unbelievable memories

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  22. RoKKeR

The Fly

Full disclosure, was in tears as well at this moment. There was a lot rushing through my brain – past and future meeting at a critical inflection point in my life – and the audience staying and singing that song was the trigger haha. It was a lot, but I'm glad they did that.

earthlight and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  23. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Can't believe it's finally over. This must have been such an incredible show to attend

I wonder when this will sink in for me. I feel like I only just accepted MCR going away in the last year or so

Turkeylegz likes this.
  24. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

This one hurts.

earthlight likes this.
  25. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Yellowcard will definitely be missed. One of the most consistent bands from the pop punk world. What impressed me most was their ability to have two successful careers. Most bands don't even get one. They reached some pretty remarkable levels before their hiatus that hopefully set them up for a while. But their ability to return as an arguably better outfit in a declining market was really impressive. That is certainly a testament to their ability to write good songs. It's a shame that we will no longer get see them perform, but the catalog they leave behind is something to cherish and play with pride. Thanks for everything YC. You were one of the good ones.

Davjs and earthlight like this.