Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Senate Republications Vote to Lift Internet Privacy Protections

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Hamza Shaban, writing for Buzzfeed:

The Senate voted Thursday to make it easier for internet service providers to share sensitive information about their customers, a first step in overturning landmark privacy rules that consumer advocates and Democratic lawmakers view as crucial protections in the digital age. The vote was passed along party lines, 50-48, with all but two Republicans voting in favor of the repeal and every Democrat voting against it. Two Republican Senators did not vote.

Passed by the Federal Communications Commission in the final months of the Obama presidency, the privacy rules prohibited internet providers like Comcast and Verizon from selling customer information, including browsing history and location data, without first getting consent. The rules also compelled providers to tell customers about the data they collect, the purpose of that data collection, and to identify the types of third party companies that might be given access to that information.

Who is asking for this? Is there literally anyone that’s like, “fuck yes, sell my data, please!”

2. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Saw this yesterday and was surprised I hadn't heard anything until then. Had I just not been paying attention, or did this quickly and swiftly get pushed through? I have no clue. I think with all these other real-world issues, I stopped paying attention to how all these changes will be / are affecting my online privacy and identity.

It's really concerning though. Like you, I can't imagine any consumer begging for something like this to happen - it's purely only beneficial to those making the money off our data (i.e. screw the consumer). I haven't read the article you linked yet, but they were also trying to argue it from the point of view where opt-in services such as Google and Facebook do this, so why not the ISP.

This was a good article from EFF that I read today, so I highly recommend taking a look.

3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

We are literally so distracted by Trump's antics, stuff like this is flying under the radar. It's easy to assume Trump is an incompetent bafoon, but maybe he's not so dumb after all...

Raku and crunchprank like this.
  4. don't fret

Corporations are asking for this, the only constituent that matters to them.

Raku likes this.
  5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

The FCC chair said their reasoning for this was that having different levels of "protected" data would be too confusing for the average user, so they just stripped all of it.

6. skylardarsh

is there a better source for this than Buzzfeed? I can't take them seriously and I have trouble believing they can report on anything honestly.

7. Jason Tate Mar 24, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 24, 2017)
    Literally every paper. All of them. And not only is Buzzfeed a good source, this is the best roundup of the news -- I read pretty much all of them.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  8. The FCC chair fucking sucks.

Anticitizen7 likes this.
  9. Raku

Regular

1984 was supposed to be fiction, not a guidebook for the future...

Seriously though, I'm not a fan of this, I like my privacy and protection =/

10. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

*liked

11. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I should know the answer to this, but does using a VPN protect a person against this at all? Or does your ISP still know easily what you're doing even over a VPN?

12. skylardarsh

Oh come on Buzzfeed is not a good source for anything except propaganda. They are demonstrably fake news. Their constant dishonesty and race-baiting leaves them with zero credibility.

Also the title of this lawsuit is amazing:
    [​IMG]