Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hiding Music From Our Parents (Encore Episode 145) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

On this week’s episode of Encore I am joined by special guest Ryan Gardner. Ryan joins the show to talk about growing up in this music scene and the bands that we first fell in love with. Then we talk a little about starting young with writing online, the lessons learned and why we think it’s important to just try, and how to maybe parlay that into some kind of career in the future. Freelancing, journalism, and how this alternative music scene has changed over the years rounds out the episode.

Thanks for listening!

Hosts

Show Notes

Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

@Ryan Gardner repping two of my favorite albums of the year! Looking forward to listening to this.

Ryan Gardner and teebs41 like this.
  3. Very cool that Ryan is on! Excited for this one

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  4. Ryan ehhh??? Much excite, much excite!

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  5. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Thanks for having me on @Jason Tate. Hope everyone enjoys listening - had a great time on this one!

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Ryan should listen to the new Power Trip record, Nightmare Logic. Best heavy record of the year. Ryan Adams tweeted about it.

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  7. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Funny story about hiding music from our parents. My mom wouldn't allow me to get any CD or cassette that had the "Parental Advisory" sticker on there. Back in 6th grade, I was in the Barnes & Nobles that just opened up. I saw Eminem's "Marshall Mathers LP" and the price sticker was hiding the PA sticker. I had no idea until I got home and saw that it was the explicit version. Instead of telling my parents, I hid it from them. Being in 6th grade, you're a terrible hider so my mom saw it and confronted me about it. I played stupid and told her I didn't know. She took out these heavy duty scissors and cut both the CD and jewel case into pieces as a punishment. Looking back on it 17 years later, I think she did the right thing but I'm still out $18 haha

CMilliken and Ryan Gardner like this.
  8. Thanks for listening everyone! Hope you enjoy.

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  9. CMilliken

Trusted

Great discussion. I had to do the same thing with American Idiot. I had a really bad torrented version for the longest time. Made sure the artwork on my iPod didn't have the PA stamp on it and everything. My parents were fairly strict about language and stuff in music.

When going to concerts my dad would make me show a picture of the band to him so I'd find the nicest looking picture of the band so he'd be cool with me going.

Really liked when you guys were talking about the consuming media whether it be looking at social media, music or movies. Last year was an incredible year for music that it almost stressed me out trying to listen to everything I wanted to and other recommendations from friends and this site.

I decided to tone it back a bit this year with the music I purchase and really spend time with the albums I do buy. It's been really nice to not worry about what's coming out and just add it to a list of things to get around to eventually. With that being said I've listened to The Menzingers album close to 100 times and can still throw that on everyday and love every second of it.

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  10. Kiana Mar 19, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 19, 2017)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

My parents dgaf so I never had to hide anything from them. My dad loves metal and punk and stuff and my mom liked it too to an extent. They owned all the explicit stuff and bought the Green Day and Blink CDs. I feel like it turned me into a wannabe rebel without a cause because I wanted to be cool and rebellious and hide things but they didn't care at all lmao

11. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Just finished listening. Just want to say that I feel very similarly to @Ryan Gardner about social media. I've stopped posting on them because why does anybody care of why should they?!

Ryan Gardner likes this.