Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

U.S. Customs Officials Issue Travel Advisory After SXSW Artists Denied Entry Into U.S.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

David Brooks, writing for Billboard:

At least seven artists hoping to play the annual South by Southwest music festival have been turned away at the U.S. border amid confusion over the type of visa needed to enter the country.

At issue is whether artists can perform at free showcase events like South by Southwest on a B-1 visitor visa, typically issued to tourists who aren’t legally allowed to work during their visit to the U.S. Most artists who enter the country for a tour do so on a performance visa (also known as P-1), but artists performing for free at showcase events like South by Southwest have used B-1 visitor visas in the past to enter the U.S.

2. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck SXSW all around.

3. testtime

Regular

damn bruh, what did SXSW ever do to you?

coleslawed likes this.
  4. Iamhollywood315

Regular

I hate sxsw especially now since I live here and have to deal with all the visitors but before you bash sxsw on this article do realize that French band (forget their name, not mentioned in article) was not allowed in and denied because they didn't have the proper work visas. It was fault of their manager and management that dropped the ball with not preparing them, not the festivals fault.

And I'll be damned if we have another protest in this city. Seems every day now

5. devenstonow

Noobie

yeah, this isn't really sxsw's fault, this is just shitty/misinformed border agents

shawnhyphenray likes this.