Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Get Out’ Opens Strong at the Box Office

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Get Out had a great opening weekend at the box office:

Blumhouse’s Get Out, the Jordan Peele horror/comedy/social commentary, parlayed its glowing critical reception for a stunning $30.5 million Oscar weekend in 2,781 theaters and a very respectable $10,976 per-screen average.

2. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Nice. I'm planning on seeing it this week.

3. aniafc

Trusted

Get Out is the movie that M Night Shyamalan wishes he could make in 2017

4. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

This is one of the best most fun movie experience I have had in years

5. Bryan Diem

Trusted

This movie looked like 100% total garbage and like it would become extremely predictable, but wow, haven't heard a negative thing yet.

6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

except M. Night made a solid movie that came out in 2017

Get Out is incredible though and I hope it continues to rake

aniafc and CMilliken like this.
  7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

how did it look like garbage? i don't see movies often but as soon as i saw the trailer i knew i HAD to see it

8. aniafc

Trusted

Split was alright, for sure, but Get Out is definitely the far better movie.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  9. heymattrick

Sending my love

Saw it this morning and loved it.

10. CMilliken

Trusted

Have to agree with you. Split was awesome.

11. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Agreed. It was great. The beast was a little off putting at first, but after sitting with it for a few days I can safely say it was a really good movie.

CMilliken likes this.
  12. Liz

Ew, David

It is really predictable but I was still totally captivated the whole time I was watching it

13. LosManosFuertes

Love This Place Supporter

I liked split a whole lot, but honestly I didn't care for the ending. I feel like something more should have happened, but I suppose they were establishing a motivation for the character and possibly setting up future movies in that universe?

14. Bryan Diem

Trusted

1). It looked heavy-handed in its social commentary, which is usually a kiss-o'-death for me (SNOWPIERCER IS THE WORST MOVIE OF ALL TIME). Which is a bummer because so many movies in the genre avoid this, so it's always infuriating when someone goes overboard with it.
    2). It looked like the trailer was showing way too much second and third act material, so there would be no tension when I actually got there in the movie.
    3). I watch a lot of genre movies and this looked like it was using some low-tier tropes (hypnotism being the big, super frustrating one for me as psych student)

But hey, all this is said without seeing it, which I will amend pretty soon.

15. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Split's ending, as in the story's conclusion, is absolutely garbage. MNS had a good thing going there and botched it in the end. Sounds like another movie he made beginning with S...

16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the social commentary part was easily the most important part of the whole thing

17. Bryan Diem

Trusted

That's the vibe I got, and could be good, but the approach seemed too strong for my tastes.

18. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I thought this movie was excellent and i've already seen it twice.

19. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I need the old school AP.net Alex D. horror movie opinion on this.

20. CMilliken

Trusted

Yeah there will definitely be a sequel or another movie that connects to it in some way.

21. noKings

Regular

Doooope

22. Movie was awesome. I really hope Jordan Peele continues to direct and create outside of comedy, because he is extremely talented

aniafc likes this.
  23. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

If Logan and Kong Island don't get in the way, I can only see this continuing to do well for the next few weeks. Seems like the type of movie that will just grow with word of mouth.

24. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I mean totally with the whole Unbreakable / Bruce Willis bit.