Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

NASA Telescope Reveals Exoplanet Discovery

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

NASA:

NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope has revealed the first known system of seven Earth-size planets around a single star. Three of these planets are firmly located in the habitable zone, the area around the parent star where a rocky planet is most likely to have liquid water.

The discovery sets a new record for greatest number of habitable-zone planets found around a single star outside our solar system. All of these seven planets could have liquid water – key to life as we know it – under the right atmospheric conditions, but the chances are highest with the three in the habitable zone.

If we discover life on other planets while Trump is in office, humanity will have definitely jumped the shark.

2. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Holy shit

coleslawed likes this.
  3. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Doubtful there is any life as the planets are all closer to that star than Mercury is to our sun. Thst level of UV radiation makes it very doubtful life can be supported. Also space exploration and the search for life while impacted financially from politics is bipartison for the most part. I don't think it would make a difference who is in office as a lot of these explorstion projects are long term and have been on the works for years and years.

4. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

What impact does the sun's size have on this, as it is substantially smaller than our sun?

Mr. Serotonin and KidLightning like this.
  5. Trappist-1: Scientists Find 7 Earth-Like Planets Orbiting Nearby Ultracool Star
    Skip 39 light-years across our galaxy, and you’ll arrive at Trappist-1, an ultracool dwarf star with a band of special followers. This dim star hosts seven Earth-like planets within its habitable zone, according to a study published today in the journal Nature. Exoplanets are a dime a dozen these days, but due to unique properties in this exosolar system, the new discovery may usher in a movement in the hunt for habitable worlds — one where astrophysicists can ascertain the presence of life without traveling across the cosmos.

Some more info (ultra cool means low radiation).

And yes, the funding for NASA and other sciences takes as hit under Republican leadership.

As we've already seen:
    Trump to scrap Nasa climate research in crackdown on ‘politicized science’

But that wasn't really what my joke was about.

coleslawed and Chris Prindle like this.
  6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

But we already know they exist...thanks Tom Delonge.

Luroda, CMilliken and coleslawed like this.
  7. Junction183

As fascinating as this discovery is I don't believe we'll ever learn in our lifetime whether or not a system 39 light-years away can support life as we know it in our solar system.

8. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

"with the president-elect having set a goal during the campaign to explore the entire solar system by the end of the century."

This quote from one of your linked articles stuck out, and I couldn't help but read it in an over enthused voice like I do when reading a children's book out loud.

9. He's desperately looking for life on other plants with smaller hands than him.

10. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

NASA's budget - $17 Billion
    Amount Americans spend on Pizza - $35 Billion.

#NoMorePizza #BuyMoreSpaceShit

11. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Pizza is your grandfather's calzone

coleslawed likes this.
  12. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

This finding is ultra cool, am I right?

I'll see myself out.