Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Against the Current’s Chrissy Costanza Talks About Reading & Leeds Lineup

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Against the Current’s Chrissy Costanza talked with Alternative Press about the gender disparity at this year’s Reading & Leeds Festival:

So I started looking into it a little bit more because I didn’t want to speak without knowing what I was talking about. And I saw one site posted, “Who else do you want to see added to the Reading & Leeds lineup?” and I scrolled through the comments. [In] literally 350-something comments, I think there was like a handful of Paramore’s, one PVRIS comment, and that was it as far as girls go. Everything else was male bands and I was like, “Well, we’re all screaming about how there’s no girls on this [festival] and it’s like, you guys, the girls, the fans—I’m watching you guys comment. None of you are asking for girls. None of you—you’re all asking for guys, like every single one of you.” So how is Reading & Leeds supposed to put girls in their festival if you aren’t even supporting each other at this point? If we can make up over half the fans, women are the ones who are most actively commenting on all these things, the most active presences on social media. We have so much power and we’re not using it.

Dear anyone looking to book great artists for your festivals: this thread is full of them.

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Good take on it.

3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I'm not ready to let the festivals completely off the hook, but this is a valid point as well.

4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Just finally checked these guys out, I really dig em. Their name always reminded me of that DC song.

5. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

One of the better bands on the line-up anyway. Still personally surprised Kasabian is considered 'headline' worthy.

6. MikeERayner

Trusted

I hate this debate so so much.

Schooner and falafelmywaffle like this.
  7. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

is there any way to validate that those commenters were women?
    either way, still explainable as a systemic bias based on the promotion of groups by gender