Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Maroon 5 – “Cold” (feat. Future)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

At this point, the others members of Maroon 5 have the easiest job in the world.

3. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

am...am I reading that right?!

4. somethingwitty

Trusted

When did these guys morph into a band full that coasts on co-writers and awful collaborations? Also, are they still even considered a band?

CMilliken and Chase Tremaine like this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i want to know how they could convince kendrick and future to fall from the penthouse to the basement with this

6. BornToRun

Regular Supporter

This whole thing is just a bummer

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Easy money, residuals and crossover name recognition - who could say no to that?

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

What fresh new hell hath Adam Levine wrought?

Fox83, CMilliken and Chase Tremaine like this.
  9. I guess rumors of them returning to a Songs of Jane sound were waaaaaay off.

I'd be totally fine with them simply returning to a Hands All Over sound, sheesh.

The band could at least be honest at this point and call themselves the Adam Levine Experience.

Luroda, CMilliken and BornToRun like this.
  10. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

The basement had a bunch of cash in it that they wanted to go collect.

11. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

They've been a straight up pop band for five years now....I don't see how this is surprising.

12. Craig Manning

Judging from how good Adam's song on the Sing Street soundtrack is, we just need Glen Hansard to write the next Maroon 5 record.

13. CMilliken

Trusted

So bad! I'll never get that 30 seconds of my life back.

14. aniafc

Trusted

It's been crazy to watch this band's career. Most band's progress to a more original sound, meanwhile this band has regressed to just a run-of-the-mill pop band. What a bummer.

BornToRun likes this.
  15. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Jesus, these comments are pretty cold.

16. Fox83

Trusted

I still haven't seen the film, so I had no idea that Hansard wrote a song for Levine to perform on. I just listened to it. This song feels like a direction they could have gone on one of their albums if they weren't spiraling into bland pop music. They're making a killing off of their current sound though, so whatever I guess.

It's weird because I don't usually mind it when bands go for more of a "pop" sound, but what Maroon 5 has been doing for the past 7+ years just bores me, which makes me believe that even if the rest of the band picks up their instruments again, it will still be boring, which is a shame - because as much as Songs About Jane was overplayed to shit all those years ago, it's a great, great record.

17. Craig Manning

I think Levine actually co-wrote the song, with Hansard and Sing Street director John Carney. So he's still got the ability to come up with songs of that caliber. He just chooses to go the pop route.

Their first three albums are varying levels of good. Songs About Jane is their only great record, imo, but they didn't really start to crash and burn until "Moves Like Jagger." The last record was inexcusably bad. Maybe the worst record I've heard this decade.

Fox83 likes this.
  18. Fox83

Trusted

For the most part, I agree. I loved Songs About Jane, liked It Won't Be Soon Before Long, and then I sort of accepted Hands All Over. But Hands All Over was the first time I started feeling the generic vibes from the band. But yea, pretty much everything since then has been sleepwalking. I had so much hope when I read this back in September:

[Guitarist James Valentine] then went on to add that the band has discussed a more “organic, back to a Songs About Jane sort of approach”

But it was obvious you couldn't trust that would be the case:

“But we’ll have to see,” Valentine warned. “We don’t ever really know until we get into the studio and we kind of just have to follow what everybody’s interested in.”

So, I guess what we're hearing now is what they ended up being interested in. I'm holding onto a shred of hope that they are just releasing these songs as singles, but it's not necessarily the direction of their album (similar to what Marianas Trench did with Pop 101 - but then Astoria came out and it was great). I doubt it though. And, like I said, I don't know that they have it in them to churn out anything good regardless of the sound they go with.

Craig Manning and Chase Tremaine like this.
  19. Funny, I'd been meaning to ask you whether you liked that song or not.

20. Fun fact, I've actually never heard all of Songs About Jane, only about half of it. Meanwhile, though, I consider It Won't Be Soon to Before Long to be THE quintessential pop rock album of like...ever...and I think Hands All Over is a worthy successor (although I HATED it at first and it took a while for the songs to sink their teeth in).

I 100% agree about "Moves Like Jagger" though. It's all been downhill ever since.

21. Craig Manning

Let's be honest: James Valentine is basically just an honorary Maroon 5 member at this point.

Love it. Not my favorite song on the soundtrack, but a very strong end to the film and a very strong vocal from him.

Dude, you've gotta go check out Songs About Jane. Most of the best songs on that record weren't the singles.

Hands All Over was hit or miss for me, but I'm quite fond of the random turn into country for the closing track.

Fox83 and Chase Tremaine like this.