Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Disney Severs Ties With PewDiePie Over Anti-Semitic Posts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Disney has severed ties with YouTube star PewDiePie after a series of anti-semitic posts. The Wall Street Journal reports:

Mr. Kjellberg said in a video a few days later that the Jan. 11 clip was a joke that went too far. Alphabet Inc.’s Google, which owns YouTube, pulled ads that run on its videos from the Jan. 11 video within days of its posting, before it was taken down this past weekend. YouTube hasn’t pulled any of the nine videos in question, though PewDiePie’s account took down three of them. Google hasn’t removed ads from any of Mr. Kjellberg’s other videos.

Being a piece of shit is all the rage in 2017.

2. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Oof.

3. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

He used to post pictures of Ayn Rand calling her a "cool lady with great ideas".

4. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I really dislike this guy. I didnt know he had ties to Disney

5. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

A lot of people on YouTube do.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  6. I've always found this guy to be seriously fucking obnoxious, but now my hate is justified. What a piece of trash.

7. DesolateEarth

Birb

And nothing of value was lost for Disney.

Petit nain des Îles and Raku like this.
  8. Raku

Regular

I always found this guy's "Let's Plays" absolutely obnoxious and without any value.

That being said, I'm actually kind of bummed I missed out on seeing this scumbag's deleted videos because I want to see for myself what he said. Darn my curiosity, at least he won't get paid anymore for this garbage.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  9. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Fair enough for Disney to drop him, but seriously, some of you guys are way too uptight/offended over what's clearly just crude humor delivered in a punchline. It's obviously a joke yet you're acting like the guy is an actual Nazi. People watch his videos for entertainment and his humor is a part of that (whether you like it or not).

Jason, you can't take a moral high ground when you've done outlandish comments (especially involving politics) that even your own community has called you out on before.

10. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

The old, tired "it's a joke, lighten up" argument. Le sigh. If someone has to rely on making jokes about a movement that caused six million innocent people to be slaughtered in some of the most horrendous ways imaginable, then they really need to work on their material.

Also I don't know how long you've been a member of this community, but there's no reason to personally attack Jason. He will be the first to tell you that not everything he has done or said in the past was respectable at the time. The difference is he is always willing to better himself, and has done so admirably - and has also been a huge motivation to the members of the community here on how they can better themselves as well. I've learned quite a lot from him, as well as many others.

If you'd like to leave this community, you're more than welcome to.

11. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Just because something is a joke doesn't mean it's off-limits from criticism. Especially if it's morally wrong.

12. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

You choose to be offended. He made a simple joke and has understandably faced the circumstances by Disney. But it was still a punchline made in jest. Good luck if you ever go to stand-up comedian show. Everyone makes jokes. Just be glad you're not in a spotlight to be scrutinised over everything and anything.

I enjoy the community (and have for years) and wasn't directly attacking Jason. I'm just pointing out that he himself has caused what the community deemed as 'inappropriate jokes' many times (ie recently comparing Busted's album to Trump winning presidency - a guy who's views has potential real ramifications on people's lives). I don't mind the jokes because that's what they are.

Pewdiepie has still donated millions to charity. If you judge his character based on a little joke like that then it says just as much about your shallowness.

Stevangelion likes this.
  13. What outlandish comment have I made involving politics that's remotely comparable to this?

And fuck off with this "it's a joke" nonsense. What he did, repeatedly, isn't a joke.

14. :crylaugh:

Now *this* is actually a joke.

15. And Busted still fucking suck.

Aaron Mook and fenway89 like this.
  16. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

17. You think that's the same as this story? Are you out of your fucking mind or did you read none of it? Hahahahhaa, holy shit.

18. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

The idea that you made joke that a lot of people in your 'own community' deemed inappropriate? Yes, that notion is pretty comparable. Nonetheless, PewDiePie apologized over his insensitive remarks - jokes or not. This lynch mob is completely exaggerated.

19. Like three people said dumb things that already didn't like me *shocker* ... and what I said was no where near what happened in these videos. No, they're not comparable. No, it's not a lynch mob. And Busted still suck. This is the dumbest thing I've read today and we had a resignation from the NSA. Good job. Now knock this shit off.

dadbolt, Aaron Mook, fenway89 and 2 others like this.
  20. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I hope I never become so insensitive as to believe that genocide and perpetuating violent racism is just "a little joke." To compare this to your average comedy club either means you've never been to one or you hang out with a lot of fucking Nazis.

21. Lynch mob or not, PewDiePie deserves it. He knows he has a very young audience, so he doesn't need our sympathy in this case.

Raku likes this.
  22. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

In one of those videos, Kjellberg had paid two people in India through a crowd-sourcing platform for holding up a sign that read “death to all Jews.” Google responded by removing advertising from the video in question, but Kjellberg defended it as a joke in another video uploaded a week later.

That's constitutes a "joke" to some people? If you guys could enlighten us with an explanation of the funny parts of that sign we'd be grateful...

23. I've unfortunately watched many of his videos over the years because so many people I know love him. And he is awful, like the kind of obnoxious super racist uncle that spouts his free speech bullshit when you confront him. No one should condone that.

24. Using indians as props ? What a piece of shit, seriously. He couldn't be even more transparent.

dadbolt likes this.
  25. It's 2017, ap.net is done, and people are stil trying to gotcha Jason ? It says a lot about you.