Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Infinity on High’ Turns Ten

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy posted a little blog to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of Infinity on High.

this one was strange. it was transitional. If FUCT was the caterpillar album- Infinity On High was the cocoon one. we had been on tour around the world nonstop but hadn’t really seen any of the magazine covers we were on or had any perspective of seeing our videos on TRL- it was odd how everything was changing but it felt like we were in a time capsule… this record would bring so many ideas from jay z doing the intro to working with baby face on “thnks fr th mmrs” to the flight 101 saga (3 shows in a day in ny, chicago, and la)… but first and foremost it documented this blur that had become our lives. this record more than any of the others has always reminded me of night time- both the anxiety of insomnia and the peace of being awake when everyone else is asleep. i remember before we released it i used like a security blanket listening and trying to fall asleep. i really appreciate everyone who gave this one a chance.

“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.” vincent van gogh

I’ll always remember this album for getting to sneakily release the first song, “The Carpal Tunnel of Love,” and seeing AP.net screenshots up on MTV. (And ten years later I feel pretty vindicated in my praise for the album after getting called all kinds of names originally.)

“Thnks fr th Mmrs” remains one of my favorite Fall Out Boy songs and I’m feeling in the mood to go give it another spin.

DisloyalOrder and JRGComedy like this.
  2. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I know they won't, but I would lose my mind for a 10 year tour.

Turkeylegz and Dan O'Neill like this.
  3. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

still my favorite album of theirs. would kill for a 10 year tour

sebastianrcgr and Turkeylegz like this.
  4. AutopilotYears

Regular

Personally I think overall IOH is their best album... I know TTTYG is a favourite of a lot of people and mine too, but IOH is everything great about what FOB were and what they ended up becoming all wrapped up in an awesome package.

5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Crazy that the review talks about whether anyone would still be listening in 15 years. We're at 10 years now, and it sure seems like it's still going to be an album people listen to in 5 years.

6. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

Jason, I'm so glad you re-posted your review. Just the other day I was thinking about it and wishing I could find it. I still remember reading it and getting so excited for the album. It felt like a really big moment for the scene.

I doubt anyone is interested, but I wrote some thoughts about the album earlier this week. It's still my favorite Fall Out Boy album, even though I enjoy all of them in different ways. With so much that's happened with this band since then, it almost feels like even longer than 10 years ago.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. Dan O'Neill

Regular

IOH took me SO long to get into. I always said FUCT and Folie a Deux were my tops...but lately, Infinity Has definitely sunk it's claws into me.

I feel like I was crazy to write it off so quickly.

8. aniafc

Trusted

Folie is their best album, imo

9. Spenny

Regular

Love this album and still return to it frequently. And, I'll say it: I actually really enjoy Golden (and all of the songs have some appeal, for that matter).

10. Rushmore33

This album will probably hold up the best out of all of their work, imo. This really is when Patrick Stump proved himself as the best voice of the genre.

Bryan Diem and Dan O'Neill like this.
  11. Fox83

Trusted

Thriller is still a goddamn jam.

chewbacca110 and Dan O'Neill like this.
  12. church11

the (after) life of the party is in my top 5 FOB songs...maybe even top 3

13. btr

Trusted Supporter

I was in 6th grade in 2007 and I remember sitting in my computer class listening to Thnks fr the Mmrs on the only music video website that wasn't blocked. What an album.

aniafc likes this.
  14. aniafc

Trusted

oh man, i remember struggling to find those websites too haha

btr likes this.
  15. DisloyalOrder

Trusted Prestigious

Switch that with Arms Race and that was me haha.

btr likes this.
  16. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

@Jason Tate Whoa, reading the review - do you still think it's better than FUTC? I've always considered Folie their best record then FUTC.

17. I'm not sure if this is their best album (it's certainly top three), but it's become my favorite over time. I don't listen to them much anymore, but when I do, it's almost always this album. It's very unique and lent itself to a trend of dark, theatrical pop music. It also laid down the building blocks for Folie a Deux.

18. DearCory

Regular

"While the band may someday create that obligatory “too artsy” album"

Would love to know if @Jason Tate thinks Folie a Deux was that. Personally FaD is my favorite, but I think for that time, it may have been "too artsy" or maybe it was "too artsy" for the guys

19. I do think I like it better than FUTCT. I think I'd go: FAD, SRAR, IOH, FUTCT, ABAP, TTTYG if I was going to do the ranking thing. I come back to all the albums quite a bit, and I really love FUTCT, but I think this has a stronger selection of songs ... if I had to make a call.

I don't think FAD was that, but I think FAD is my favorite FOB album as well. I think it was a weird combination of where music was at the time, what people wanted the band to release, and them being a little ahead of their time. FAD is a great pop-rock album, and I think people wanted something different. I'll defend that album to the death too.

20. sebastianrcgr

just my opinion, I always felt FAD was a combination of all the good parts of IOH and SRAR respectively.

that being said, I feel IOH and FAD are tied for being their best work to date

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  21. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Fascinating ranking. Makes me wanna revisit Save Rock and Roll, haha. I agree with your #1. I could never rank them all though.

22. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

If IOH cut, or had two different songs, it would be tied for me.

23. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

I remember I wrote FAD off so quickly, and now it's my favorite. I agree FAD was ahead of its time.

sebastianrcgr and Dan O'Neill like this.
  24. ioev Feb 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 9, 2017)
    ioev

I'm a kid I'm a squid

I love this album! Though, when I first "acquired" it, I had to edit out a bunch of things that bugged me. Notably the entire intro to Thriller (album now kicks in right at the guitar riff, it's awesome) and the outro "ef oh bee!" and the weird fade-in on "The Take Over" (transition into the second song sounds much cleaner), and the clapping, record pops and "Please press repeat" line at the end of the album.

25. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

This album is a distant third in their discography for me after TTTYG, and FUTCT and gets very little play. Love "Its Hard to Say I Do" and GINASFS though.