Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Twitter to Hide Abusive Tweets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Twitter is once again rolling out new features to try and curb abuse on their platform. Kurt Wagner, writing at Recode:

There’s a general theme to all of these changes: Keep mean or abusive content out of sight. It’s the same approach Twitter used in August when it rolled out a feature so users could filter their notifications.

I dunno, I feel like there’s some low hanging fruit still out there. Like banning Nazis.

2. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Marking it the first time a President of the United States has all of his tweets hidden.

3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I was listening to the /filmcast a few weeks ago, and they were discussing a tech report predicting which companies wouldn't make it through 2017. Twitter was among the top of the list. It bums me out because I'm so addicted to the thing, and while I don't think it'll be shutting down within the next year or so, it almost feels like there's very little they can do to stop the overflow of hate speech outside of directly banning anyone who behaves like an asshole. I get that that's skating on thin ice, but it's become such a breeding ground for stupidity that my experience this past half a year has been nowhere near as rewarding as it was when I first joined. Looking through my recent tweets, about 75% of them are me fighting with cowardly dipshits.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  4. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Powerful, ubiquitous tech company does absolute bare minimum to be considered user-friendly and ethical. feels like a trend

5. Twitter is trash

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the ironic part is that you are posting a tweet about someone suspended from twitter to show that twitter is trash

Raku likes this.
  7. Raku

Regular

I'll agree to disagree here (cause I don't want to argue) but...

I'm really not a fan of censorship, it can bring us down a slippery slope to abusive levels. I think twitter's block feature should work just fine for those questionable people.

8. It doesn't.

9. I don't think you got Drew's point.

10. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

I'm making a joke.
    I do know drew's point lol you think I don't know how much twitter sucks for not banning disgusting bigots? Of course I do. The fact milo and shkreli and other alt right shitheads can use the platform to spout their trash is fucked. Obviously I know that lol