Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Deftones and Rise Against Announce Tour

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Deftones have announced a new tour with Rise Against. Thrice will be opening and you can find the dates below.

06-9 Chicago, IL – Huntington Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island
    06-10 Sterling Heights, MI – Michigan Lottery Theater at Freedom Hill
    06-11 Toronto, ON – Budweiser Stage
    06-13 Wantagh, NY – Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
    06-16 Boston, MA – Blue Hills Bank Pavilion
    06-17 Philadelphia, PA – Festival Pier at Penn’s Landing
    06-18 Raleigh, NC – Red Hat Amphitheater
    06-20 Charlotte, NC – Charlotte Metro Credit Union Amphitheatre
    06-22 Tampa, FL – MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre
    06-23 Miami, FL – Bayfront Park Amphitheater
    06-24 Jacksonville, FL – Daily’s Place Amphitheater
    06-26 The Woodlands, TX – The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
    06-27 Dallas, TX – Starplex Pavilion
    06-28 Austin, TX – Austin360 Amphitheater
    06-30 Denver, CO – Pepsi Center
    07-01 Salt Lake City, UT – USANA Amphitheater
    07-03 Seattle, WA – White River Amphitheatre
    07-06 Concord, CA – Concord Pavilion
    07-07 Chula Vista, CA – Sleep Train Amphitheatre
    07-08 Las Vegas, NV – Downtown Las Vegas Events Center
    07-09 Phoenix, AZ – Ak-Chin Pavilion

2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Unbelievable lineup. Every year I see a tour package that I think can't be topped, and then someone does. Last year it was Coheed/Gassjaw/I The Mighty. This year it's this. And of course it's not coming to Nashville, but it is going to both my old hometowns. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  3. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Very solid lineup for sure. Also announced today Muse/30STM/PVRIS. 2 interesting tours.

4. My thoughts exactly. So many wild tour announcements today

5. We can mourn together

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  6. For a while now, I've been wanting Thrice to take a step down from headlining and do themselves justice by opening for bigger bands. This is going to be so good for them, especially considering how well the new music fits in with Deftones and Rise Against. I also know that those bands are all good friends, so I'm sure this tour is going to be a blast for everyone involved.

7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Totally. Their sound from the past 3 albums should have had a lot of mainstream appeal, but instead they lost profile (I know that wasn't really their focus or intention) - that may speak more to the state of rock music than them though. Hopefully they make some good money off of this summer and it continues to encourage them to make new music and tour.

8. No matter what, I think they're committed to stay for the long run right now. They're finding new ways to balance work life and home life, and they've stated that writing has already been started on the next album. Also, to a lot of people's surprise, "Black Honey" has found a lot of legs in terms of radio airplay. The current popularity and momentum is enough to sustain them, but the question now is, can they continue to grow and maybe become a top-10 rock band for the first time? We shall see. (By the way, when I say "top 10," which probably means different things to different people, I mean it in reference to them having an album debut in the top 10 of the Billboard 200 and having a single that gets to the top 10 of an airplay chart.)

fenway89 likes this.
  9. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I guess I shouldn't have made it sound like I have real fear they aren't back to stay, because you're right, it does sound like they've found a schedule that's working for them - I really just meant that a second wind of "success" could only help to reaffirm the decision.

10. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

In terms of this current conversation, I'll always find it hilarious that they got signed to a major label, used that platform to make Vheissu and The Alchemy Index (I know the latter wasn't released on that label, but I believe they were still signed there when they made it), went back to an indie, and then started making music more compatible with mainstream rock.

Obviously being mainstream will never be their goal, but I'll always wonder what would've happened if a version of "Artist" (the song) with different production had been pushed as a big single. Or if they had made Major/Minor while still on that major label.

rxbandit89 and Chase Tremaine like this.
  11. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Really hope tickets aren't too expensive for Philly. Deftones and Thrice are gonna be terrific... and I'm sure Sufferer and Witness songs will be great to hear!

12. carlosonthedrums

One of the many things I love about Deftones is that they've always managed to keep their ticket prices very fair for their headlining shows. I think the 2015 Incubus tour was an exception, but they weren't the closing act on that one.

13. Loki

God of mischief

No disrespect intended, but this would be the kind of tour where I could see RA and Thrice and bounce before it got crazy. My best friend is a huge Deftones guy and I just never could get into them. Weird.

exanctile likes this.
  14. TAITA was released on Island. It did really well. "All That's Left," and "Stare at the Sun" were relatively big singles.

15. Tim

I didn't come along as a fan until a few years after that. Do you think "Artist" would have pushed them even higher? Or did those singles get them as big as the sound they were going for reasonably could've gotten them.

16. They released it as one ... it even got a video:

I don't remember how they all did.

17. Tim

That's not an official video, though...? Or at least it doesn't look like one.

I thought I remembered reading an interview where someone in the band said they probably should've pushed "Artist" as the lead single, but that would've been a while ago, so I don't remember the specifics.

18. "Artist" wasn't one of the official singles and the rumored video was never released. Riley has gone on record stating that he wishes it had been released as the main single from the album instead. Apparently the band thinks it would have out-performed "All That's Left" and "Stare at the Sun," both of which peaked in the 20's or 30's on the Billboard Rock charts.

19. Tim

Ok, that's what I was thinking of.

20. Since we're on this topic, here's a fun story.

Dustin has some family members that lived in the same town as me in Texas. His cousin worked as an EMT. One time, my brother got into a bad motorcycle wreck and had to get picked up by an ambulance. As he regained his senses, he looked up and recognized Dustin's cousin. My brother mustered his strength and said, "Hey...the artist in the ambulance."

Funny how fate works.

carlosonthedrums and Tim like this.
  21. Tim

Amazing.

22. carlosonthedrums

Dude, that is hilarious. Most importantly, glad your brother's OK.

23. Tim

^ Oh, yeah, that too, of course.

24. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Frank Iero is opening these shows. Deftones/Rise Against co-headlining, Thrice direct support, Frank opening.

25. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Correct - it's footage from their Kimmel performance spliced with something else.