Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How Many Subscribers Does Tidal Actually Have?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Micah Singleton, writing at The Verge:

According to a lengthy report from the Norwegian newspaper Dagens Næringsliv, Tidal has been inflating its subscriber totals to the public since the company was acquired by Jay Z two years ago. Dagens Næringsliv says it obtained internal reports from the streaming service that show Tidal only had 350,000 subscribers in September 2015, the same month when Jay Z tweeted that Tidal had reached 1 million users.

They probably should’t worry about this too much since Sean Spicer will go on TV and defend whatever numbers our President makes up — alternative facts in streaming subscribers are probably just fine.

phillyfradet, beachdude42 and Loki like this.
  2. Loki

God of mischief

Sigh, not every article needs a Trump connection in the subtext...

johnsin1001 and Raku like this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Honestly not surprised that Tidal/Jay Z would do this lol

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. The idea of "alternative facts" makes me sick.

phillyfradet and beachdude42 like this.
  5. How did my one crack here become "every article"?

6. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Alternative facts, I'm assuming.

7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

So, like, the one article that's had a Trump connection?

8. johnsin1001

Tate - please stop with your politics. I come here for music updates.

9. Don't visit this site then.

10. Loki

God of mischief

11. Loki

God of mischief

I admit, I should have stated that I wasn't strictly referring to Chorus. I just feel like all my favorite sites (and Chorus is right at the top of that list) have become ultra political even if politics are not the core subject matter of said site.

12. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Its hard not to become ultra political right now?

13. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I think you're going to have to get used to it. This is an unprecedented time for politics, and not just in the US, but worldwide, with a lot of actions and policy changes that are going to strongly impact a lot of people in a lot of ways. And I'm not directing that at any one end of the political spectrum either, because countries are swinging in both directions - just saying that its becoming harder to separate politics from everything when everything from journalism, to the economy, human rights, environment, entertainment, morality and so-on is becoming so politicized, not just by the public, but by our politicians themselves.

I get that you're not as interested in the debates, and its your right to, but I think there are a lot of people (myself included) who have politics top of mind right now, and I don't think that's fading any time soon.

Loki, FTank and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  14. I don't think you know what it means. That said, some of us care bout politics and are directly affected by it. We're not all privileged to be aphathetic about it. Maybe that's not the case for you, cool but don't act like you're surprised by ap.net/chorus.fm.
    My point still stands and that wasn't supposed to be mean to you, there are a lot of other music sites to check out if you want.

15. I'd argue politics have always been the core subject matter of a lot of what I write about, and the core subject matter of a lot of the music I've written about for years. This is important, it matters, and people's lives are at stake.

Loki and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  16. Loki

God of mischief

I get what you're saying, I really do. (The only thing I disagree with is that an interest in politics has a direct correlation with privilege)

There are a lot of other sites but this one is easily the best for the types of music I listen to, and I like the writers/reviewers on this site more than any other.

I guess I would have been way better off saying "Geez, this is even spilling over into my escapism time."

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Given my previous post criticizing you, I feel required to give you credit for that fair retort. I think it's important to be careful about how we debate politics with people right now, and to try to avoid further alienating people with potentially opposing views (something I've been more aware of since the election), and the shot taken at you about privilege (albeit true for a lot of people), was an unfair assumption.

I'll admit, I find myself chronically stressed/anxious right now, because I can't mentally escape from the issues facing the world, so although I think your original messages how they were worded unfairly criticized Jason and the site, part of me does empathize with how few avenues there are for escapism right now - even though I really think it's necessary to stay informed and engaged, and face up to the scary winds of change. For me personally I really appreciate that being a consistent thread at chorus, and I know I feel the problems too urgent to tune them out.

Loki and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  18. Loki

God of mischief

Thank you Kyle. I think the last week of news firmly awards you the victory in this matter. I was naive to think this wasn't all going to snowball.

Jason/Kyle - my sincere apologies on the attitude.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.