Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Some Updates From Travis Barker

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Travis Barker was on “The Kevin & Bean Show” to talk about his Musink festival. He mentioned that Blink-182 have 13 songs recorded for the new deluxe version of California, that they want to release the deluxe version now while the album is still doing well and not hold the songs until the end of 2018. He also mentioned recording a new Goldfinger album with John Feldmann, so, that’s some news.

The full interview can be found on Facebook.

2. shea

RIP Supporter

is he still playing on Antemasque's LP or are they even a thing anymore since ATDI is back?

bradsonemanband likes this.
  3. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Can't wait to hear these new songs, it's basically another record which Im totally okay with.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

the album is already 100% done and recorded, has been since 2015. It just hasn't been released :-/

5. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I would still prefer just a new album or something different than a deluxe album. I don't want to buy a 28ish song album for a steep price when I already bought California.

I hope they just release it as a separate compilation.

Brent likes this.
  6. irthesteve

Whatever it is, I'll just treat it as it's own thing. I don't see myself ever listening to the entirty of California AND 13 more tracks in one sitting as a complete thought, I would imagine I'd only ever listen to the new tracks as their own standalone piece

7. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Excited to get this sooner rather than later. Ready for some new music!

8. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Same I mean I'll totally just listen to this as it's own thing.

But in terms of me wanting to purchase it (and I assume many others) I would think a giant double/deluxe album wouldn't sell as well as it just being a new album since it dropped 6 months ago. I would think?

9. irthesteve

Completly agree. I find it interesting that they aren't allowed to release a new album til 2018, some weird label shenanigans seem to be going on there.

10. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Idk what kind of label shenanigans this could be, a completely new album already would be way too soon for a lot of people I think. If the label totally had their way, wouldn't they maybe make the band table these songs until it was an appropriate time to release a brand new album?

11. Nah, selling an already very popular album again right as the Grammys hit is exactly what labels do.

sawhney[rusted]2 and Brent like this.
  12. irthesteve

What Travis seemed to be getting at is that these 13 songs have 2 options. 1) part of California (Deluxe Edition) 2) A whole new album.

It seems the label does not want option 2 until 2018, but the band doesn't want to wait that long to release them, so they are defaulting to option 1

coleslawed likes this.
  13. Not weird at all. Literally textbook. Two year album cycle is the opposite of weird.

14. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Man, 13 new Blink songs and a potential new Goldfinger album all announced in the same interview!

15. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Just take the new songs from the deluxe and call them "No Future" or something different. Treat them as a separate album because that's essentially what they are per Travis in that interview. It's just a loophole to get them out sooner and like Jason said, makes the label happy to re-package something that's selling well. As someone dildo in a boardroom probably said, this is a win win for everybody.

16. irthesteve

Obviously just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if the re-release had another name instead of just Deluxe Edition.

Similar to Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll: PAX AM Days Edition, Lana Del Rey - The Born to Die: Paradise Edition, or maybe Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster

Where in all those cases, PAX AM Days, Paradise and The Fame Monster were also released as EPs digitally I think. So maybe Blink 182 - California: Summer Nights or some bullshit, where Summer Nights is an EP that you could break off and enjoy as itself.

What I am saying is yes, I agree with you

17. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Eager to hear the new songs, regardless of the format. Any word on what the third single would be? My money's on "Sober" for spring/early summer. Would be perfect timing.

Also: Last I heard about a Goldfinger record was from Darron (drummer) talking about how the new Goldfinger record was on hold. Wonder what's going on in that camp...

18. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

This is such a smart move. California already did well, has some singles people recognize, but I'm sure there's plenty of stragglers who haven't picked it up yet, they're probably hoping for Sober to be a big single this summer, and I didn't think about it until someone posted it, but they are up for a Grammy in February, so if they release it right around then, they'll get a huge boost, especially if they win or perform. I personally don't care. New songs are new songs.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  19. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I always thought this was a band's decision not the label's.

20. Label's money means label's call. A band of this size means the label's gonna call a lot of the promotional stuff and making sure they get the most out of the full cycle.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  21. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Yay for some new Goldfinger even if it's basicly just John now.

Raku likes this.
  22. Raku

Regular

I'm looking forward to new Goldfinger =)

I remember back in 2013 they released "Am I Deaf?" in preparation for an album/ep that was supposed to be releasing soon (back then), but it never came out, which was a shame. Hopefully whatever Goldfinger records will be better than "Am I Deaf?" because I will admit that when it released I was extremely disappointed with that track, and even still it hasn't (at all) grown on me.

As for blink-182, I guess it should be interesting to hear these 13 new tracks. If they're good, I might consider picking it up because I still haven't bought the original album with how disappointed I was with that release.

23. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

I predict they'll release a deluxe version with 5-6 additional songs and save the rest. No way they release a 29-30 track deluxe version.

24. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I don't know, Feldmann suggested 11 for California or something, and Travis said "nope it's been awhile we're putting on 16." If they're as proud of these as Travis sounds, I'm really expecting no less than 8 at worse, and with a much as they've talked them up I don't expect them to not follow through.

25. kidinthebushes

Trusted

Aren't most songs that end up on deluxe albums already written and recorded? Is this just their way to release new material before they allowed to release a new album? I am just asking.