Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kevin Devine and the Goddamn Band at Union Transfer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Late last year I had a chance to photograph Kevin Devine and the Goddamn Band at the Union Transfer in Philadelphia. You can check out some photos from the show below, as well as some thoughts I had while reflecting on Kevin Devine’s career.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    People listen to music for a lot of different reasons.

You may listen to music to get pumped up to do your daily routine. You may listen to feel less alone, scared, or sad. You may listen to have something to dance to, be happy to, and share in the joys of life with. Whatever reasons you listen to music, if you go to see Kevin Devine and the Goddamn Band perform, it is a near certainty they will have what you’re looking for in music. Devine is such an adept songwriter, he can transfigure from a haunting political acoustic number like “Freddy Gray Blues” into a raucous party anthem (with just a tinge of whisky-soaked regret) like “Daydrunk” on the course of a single album (or a single live set). But the real joy comes in the performance of these songs, how he seems so full of life every time you see him perform; whether that means improvising a jam mocking an audience member after that audience member shouts “311 was a part-time job,” or whether it is writing a rap about how he has fallen deeply in love with a staff member of one of the tour’s concert venues. He seems to dispense life wisdom to the crowd seemingly at random, at one point during my show saying, “We take things away from the people that come into our lives and they linger after the people go.”

It’s such a joy to watch Kevin Devine perform, but it’s even more of a joy to know that he has been able to make a career out of being so resolutely himself. If you want to support him, check out his album Instigator, which came out last year and has grown on me each time I have listened.

mercury likes this.
  2. spencpants

Can I pet your dog? Prestigious

3. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

Union Transfer is such a great venue

pauljgreco likes this.
  4. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Has been my favorite in Philly since it opened besides the Church.

5. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

I was at this show! It's awesome to have such great shots from that night. Thanks for posting these.

6. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I have been waiting for the right opportunity to check it out since moving to Pennsylvania. So many good bands run through there but its hard to get to living in Pittsburgh.