Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ten Years Ago Today Steve Jobs Introduced the iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ten years ago today Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone. That’s still got to be one of the greatest product introductions of all time. The Telegraph put together a collection of reactions after the initial launch, I liked this one:

The problem here is that while Apple can play the fashion game as well as any company, there is no evidence that it can play it fast enough. These phones go in and out of style so fast that unless Apple has half a dozen variants in the pipeline, its phone, even if immediately successful, will be passé within 3 months.

There is no likelihood that Apple can be successful in a business this competitive.

I’ll admit that I didn’t understand what made the iPhone special or different from my BlackBerry until I used one for the first time. That’s when I knew it was going to be an absolute game changer.

Backchannel also has an interview with Apple executive Phil Schiller:

“That undervalues how earth-shattering the iPhone was when it first came to market, and we all first got them and fell in love with them,” he says. “iPhone made the idea of a smartphone real. It really was a computer in your pocket. The idea of real internet, real web browser, MultiTouch. There were so many things that are core to what is the smartphone today, that created a product that customers fell in love with, that then also demanded more stuff on them, more apps.”

2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

ten years ago we had steve jobs johnny cash, and bob hope

Contender and Fucking Dustin like this.
  3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

hope we don't lose kevin bacon!!!

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  4. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Selfies forever transformed.

5. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

The quote in the OP isn't entirely wrong, except that it was RIM that ended up being guilty of not keeping up and maintaining competitiveness (among other companies in the phone industry).

6. Fox83

Trusted

I wish Blackberry was still relevant. I accept today's smartphones, but I really miss blackberry.

7. I remember being so excited to buy this ten years ago - I switched to att so i could get one. can't believe it's been ten years

8. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I got one on release and i must have been one of the first to have one at college. A lot of people that weren't up to date on tech were like "wow what's that!" The following year everyone had the 3G.

I wish had kept the original it was a fantastic piece of Apple history.

9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I didn't get an iPhone until the 4s. Then the euphoria/novelty stage lasted like 6 months and I was hooked.

10. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

My first iPhone was the 3GS which I got maybe my Sophomore year of High School. I was a convert after being with Blackberry. The lack of keyboard was a huge change for me at the time. Trying to text during class became more difficult. I don't plan on getting anything other than an Apple phone.

11. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Texting on the Samsung alias was a dream. Man, I loved that phone. I had the Samsung rogue next which felt great in the hand but I was still hesitant about touch screens.