Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Subscription Streaming Grew in 2016

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

BuzzAngle have released their annual report that tracks U.S. music consumption:

The continued explosion of audio stream consumption, which increased 82.6% to 250B streams, fueled this increase. Both album sales and song sales continued to decline but the transition to these new access methods has shown to provide overall growth and a sustainable business model for the future. Breaking down the tremendous streaming growth shows what is perhaps the most important stat of the year: the percentage of subscription streams rose from 62% of the total in 2015 to 76% of the total in 2016. The number of 2016 subscription streams grew over 2.25x the 2015 subscription streams amount.

I’m not sure I agree with the premise that this proves streaming is a “sustainable business model for the future,” but the trend lines are in the right direction and I think more artists and labels are figuring out how to use the streaming services to their benefit.

2. ramres

Next Show: Arlo Parks --4/2

FBR must be over the moon with their past year. They had 3 of the top 4 rock albums of the year (TOP's last two albums, and Panic!'s newest) and have the top 3 rock songs of the year (all TOP).

Turkeylegz likes this.