Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coachella 2017 Lineup: Radiohead, Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar Headline

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Iamhollywood315

Regular

Between this show and ACL it's literally the same rehashed artists year after year

3. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I consider myself pretty diverse in music, but I feel like I barely know a lot of the artists listed.

4. Tata Toothy

Regular

People will slowly start catching on. I love festivals, but we have way to many festivals now a days. Most of them are very similar to one another and starting to lose their luster.

5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

"Duuuude, it's the theme from Batmaaaaaaaan."

-High-off-his-ass kid on Sunday night during Hans Zimmer's performance.

6. hoodrat

Regular

Seriously I know very few of these.

7. polyfilla

who can never be sure

hans im sobbing

8. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Meh.

9. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

See a few people who don't know many of the artists. Personally I think this looks huge and am super jealous to be on the other side of the world in Australia where almost all major music festivals have died, except of course those featuring almost exclusively DJs.
    So, how many artists do you know between the three days? As in, not just heard of, but if one of their most well-known songs came on at a party you would recognise them?
    For me it's 53 -- 20 on Friday, 15 Saturday and 18 Sunday.

10. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Six. There are six acts I might recognize. And at this point in time, given Coachella's unrivaled attendance numbers and commercial profitability, I find myself wondering if that actually makes me more of a hipster rather than less of one.

11. JM95

Trusted

Where are the rock bands?

Turkeylegz likes this.
  12. Mibabalou

MUFC / NYRB Prestigious

All I care about is this probably means radiohead will play some US dates.

13. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Wow that's interesting. I mean, I'm not saying I enjoy all of the acts I recognise on here but I guess I'm across music better than I realised. It helps having a national radio station in Australia that plays most of these acts.
    Out of interest you must know Radiohead, Kendrick, Beyonce, Bon Iver and Lorde. That leaves one more spot. You've never heard The xx, Father John Misty, DJ Shadow, The Avalanches, New Order? I would definitely recommend checking those five out.

14. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

my thoughts too!

15. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

So excited for this. Confused by the responses but that's front page comments for you.

skogsraet likes this.
  16. molassescookies

this lineup sucks

17. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I know of many of the acts, and you hit four of the six I might recognize if a song of theirs was in the air (Radiohead, Beyonce, Bon Iver, and Lorde). Have either never listened to the others or just wouldn't know them well enough to identify by ear. I haven't listened to the radio in probably a decade and have dedicated precious little time for mainstream musical discovery in the last five years.

18. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

This lineup is so good my wife is trying to convince me we should fly to the states just to attend. And if we weren't already flying over later this month (after a looot of saving) I'd be very tempted.

As for the lack of rock, I guess that's just a reflection of the times. It will be back, although I concede it has not been so far from popularity perhaps since it started in the 50s.
    If you go by the strictest definition -- that the music should be made with guitar, bass and drums, and should rawk -- there is definitely a lack of rock on the line-up. But there is a lot of indie rock here, some of it highly worth checking out. Car eat Headrest being one example.

19. AndrewRnR

After Guns N Roses last year and AC/DC the year before I'm not surprised this year is a bit removed from the rock world.

20. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I'm guessing they tried for someone like Metallica or U2 and were either shot down or their price was too high. They always had at least 1 major rock band play, whether it was AC/DC, Muse or The Black Keys. Something tells me that Kendrick was bumped up to headliner.

21. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Wouldn't surprise me if they chased a reunion -- The Smiths and/or Oasis -- which never panned out.

22. Behind the Barricade

I can see that too. I still think we're closer to a Smiths reunion than we've ever been before. I'm going to say before 2020, The Smiths will reunite for at least 1 show.

23. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I pray for this at least once a week.

24. Behind the Barricade

It would probably be the biggest get in Coachella history. I think Morrissey is the only hold out due to personal demands or scheduling. We all know Coachella will shell whatever cash is necessary and that article about him and Marr talking about reforming really makes me hopeful. The ending of that article was weird but we know there's interest on their end.

25. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

depending how you're defining "rock" bands:
    radiohead
    xx
    father john misty
    mac demarco
    guided by voices

bon iver
    head and the aheart
    two door cinema club
    bastille
    local natives
    warpaint
    car seat headrest
    mitski

future islands
    real estate
    whitney
    preoccupations
    twin peaks
    hinds

and those are just the ones i recognize off top of my head. im sure the undercard has more i dont recognize.

SamLevi11 likes this.