Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ariana Grande Addresses Objectifying Fan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I agree with everything she said. However, I do wonder how she feels about her boyfriend objectifying women in every single one of his songs. I enjoy a lot of Mac Miller's music, but some of his lyrics are disgusting and feature exactly the kind of objectification of women she described in her tweets.

3. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

These were my exact thoughts when I read this. I'm sure a lot of his lyrics are probably meant to be taken as exaggerations, but regardless, it's still perpetuating the same objectification of women in the eyes of his fans...the exact thing she is offended by. It doesn't make her any less correct, but it does make you wonder about the double standard.

FrankieThe4th likes this.
  4. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Yellowcard2006 and Schooner like this.
  5. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

6. Iamhollywood315

Regular

Irony here is people will give people like Mac and Kanye a pass at their objectifying lyrics yet everyone will trash on bands like Attila and they they are horrible people for lyrics in the same vein. Not that I like Attila but it's the classic double standard. Then you got people like Miley Cyrus who has a young impressionable fan base inviting fans to pet her vagina on stage.

js977 and Davjs like this.
  7. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

miley cyrus is allowed to ask whoever she wants to "pet her vagina"

St. Nate, sophos34 and Aregala like this.
  8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

weird that a mod liked that post

sophos34 and Aregala like this.
  9. ahabian

there isn't a proper word for the setting sun.

Is she really, though? Are you being sarcastic?

10. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

no i am not being sarcastic. unless the person is under the age of consent it doesnt matter at all

11. ahabian

Yeah, that's what I figured you were saying.

12. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

did you register just to ask me about miley cyrus' body

St. Nate likes this.
  13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

14. ahabian

I googled "miley cyrus public indecency supporter" and it brought me here. Then I just did what any good citizen would do.

15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

what do you think about miley cyrus getting her fans to participate in BOFA

16. ahabian

What's BOFA?

17. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

RobbieBerns, jjnunn118 and sophos34 like this.
  18. ahabian

Oh, I just googled. Are you messing with me? I guess I deserve that.

19. saw this comment, checked to see who liked it and i literally have no idea how that happened

20. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

How about instead of whining about her SO's lyrics to make a bullshit point we actually shut up and listen to what the woman is saying?

21. Letterbomb31 Dec 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 31, 2016)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

lol, I literally said I agree with everything she tweeted. However, anyone who read her tweets without knowing about Mac's misogynistic lyrics would think it was completely out of the blue that one of his younger, more impressionable fans would say shit like "I see you hitting that". It's not hard to imagine that as a "big fan" of Mac Miller, the "young boy" is just regurgitating what he's heard in Mac's lyrics. Mac normalises that kind of misogynistic behaviour in his music and it's weird that Ariana didn't provide that context in her tweets. I'm not attacking Ariana at all though if that's what you're worried about, my problem is 100% with Mac's lyrical content.

FTank likes this.
  22. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Exactly. Far from a bullshit point. How is it productive or logical to ignore the double standard that is present here? You can completely support what she is saying while also pointing this out.

23. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

The problem is when people come into a thread like this and immediately try to poke holes in her argument ("her bf's music does this", etc). It distracts from what she is saying, and it gives people a reason to not listen to her.

I mean hell the first 5 comments in here ended up being about criticizing rap lyrics in an effort to discredit her point, and not at all about the point Ariana was making. One of them even brought Miley into it for no reason other than to shame her for her performances.

Whether you meant it to be or not, it feels more like you guys were trying to talk over her point than anything. Or criticize the way she was expressing her view on how women are treated.

Christ if that Hollywood dude uses your posts as a jumping off point to start spewing his bullshit, that should be a sign that something went wrong.

24. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

It is not her job to answer for Mac miller re:his lyrics

She expressed a valid concern based on her treatment as a woman in society, and everyone here just basically said it wasn't good enough because it didn't criticize sexism exactly the way they wanted her to criticize it.

25. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I definitely wasn't poking holes in her argument, as I completely agree with everything she said. I clarified that at the start of my first post so that people didn't think I was trying to say she was wrong.

and I don't agree with anything that Hollywood guy posted

I never said it was. However, the reality of the situation is that Mac's disgusting lyrics have clearly had a negative effect on the "young boy" she described in her tweets

I don't recall saying "it wasn't good enough", I do remember saying I agree with everything she tweeted tho

FTank likes this.