Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Facebook Will Start Telling You When a Story May Be Fake

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Washington Post is reporting that Facebook is rolling out some new tools to help tell users when news stories in their feed may be fake:

“We have a responsibility to reduce the spread of fake news on our platform,” said Facebook’s Adam Mosseri, vice president of product development, in an interview with The Post. Mosseri added that Facebook still wants to be a place where people with all kinds of opinions can express themselves. And Facebook has no interest in being the arbiter of what’s true and what isn’t for its billion users, he said.

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

Raku, Collins and patrfinley like this.
  3. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Welllll, this should be interesting.

Raku likes this.
  4. Good. They should do more.

5. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

this is a surprising 180

6. Stage Banter

A music review podcast.

Or, they could have just not laid off their news team.

7. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

A little too late, but better than nothing I guess.

8. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It didn't surprise me, I feel like the past couple of months they've been circling around a conclusion like this. I think the other option would have been way worse for facebook as i'm sure eventually most users would come to regard facebook as untrustworthy as a news source and given the way people use the platform nowadays, that would open up an avenue for another social media site to usurp facebook's monopoly.