Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Halsey Explains the Meaning Behind Her “20:1” Jacket

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Halsey explains the meaning behind the “20:1” phrase she had written on her jacket when she performed at the Nobel Peace Prize Concert in Oslo, Norway:

“The number on this jacket represents the ratio of male-to-female recipients of the Nobel Prize, an award that recognizes great achievements in social, creative and scientific fields,” Halsey told fans on Instagram after the show. “An award that this year finds itself belonging to not a single woman.”

2. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

This is an award that needs to be based off talent, creativity, and innovation. Not gender. It's not a movie role.

3. transrebel59

Regular

Have fun with the replies to this comment.

4. Female talent, creativity, and innovation has historically been ignored or attributed to some guy. This is either incredibly naive or incredibly misogynistic. Either way, thanks for playing but this is a bad take.

5. aniafc

Trusted

Spot on.

6. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

It's not, you're twisting what I'm saying completely. Thousands of people regularly go for this award. Making every single thing in our culture a fucking gender battle is not helping anything.

Edit: and I believe there are many fronts in which this is a huge issue. This in my eyes, is not one of them.

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

"Making every single thing in our culture a fucking gender battle is not helping anything."
    -
    "Male, 25"

jawbreaker and Anna Acosta like this.
  8. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

"Incredibly"
    You can paint whatever condescending picture of me you want. You know nothing about me except the small, insignicant details of my profile and probably don't even know who won the last nobel peace prize until you google search it shortly after you read this and respond with another condescending remark because my opinion on this thread is different from yours.

9. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

A lot of incredibly talented people have won and deserved this award, including women. To discredit something like this based of a cultural issue being faced on more important fronts is foolish in my eyes.

10. Consider: As a woman, I don't have the luxury of choosing when gender is or is not an issue. I didn't twist anything - I presented a fact, which is that female achievements are often (past, present and no doubt future) ignored or attributed to the men around them. There is no scenario where that detail isn't relevant when talking about an award designed to honor said achievements. It is not really of concern to me whether or not you think it matters, because it does.

That said, I have no further desire to engage with you. Have a nice day!

jawbreaker and OhTheWater like this.
  11. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Sorry, you don't get to discredit my opinion and throw insults on the basis that I'm a male and you're a female, and then tell me I'm not allowed to respond. This award is a great honor. I cannot fathom how some can discredit the winners of it throughout it's history. I fully understand the point you are making as a female, but the detail isn't relevant because gender does not, in my eyes, declare level of qualification for it. I don't believe the award has been awarded ever with that mindset.