Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Congress Cracks Down on ‘Bots’ That Buy Up Concert Tickets

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Billboard reports on congress’s attempts to criminalize the use of ticket bots nationwide:

Congress sent legislation to President Barack Obama that could make it easier to get tickets to popular shows, sports events and concerts.

Legislation passed by voice vote in the House on Wednesday (Dec. 7) would crack down on computer software used by some ticket brokers to snap up tickets. The so-called “bots” rapidly purchase as many tickets as possible for resale at significant markups, and are one of the reasons why tickets to a Bruce Springsteen concert or Hamilton performance can sell out in just a few minutes.

Raku likes this.
  2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

About time

emeryk3 and Raku like this.
  3. SayHello

Regular

Even congressman can't get tickets to see Brand New these days.

4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Thanks, Obama.

5. Raku

Regular

Eh, I don't like how they said "popular" as an example. I'm hoping this applies to all events because "popular" events aren't the only ones to be bought out by scalpers.

6. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Are we still ignoring the bigger issue here? Yes there are ticket bots but many artists scalp THEIR OWN tickets. VIP packages are how some bands are getting around it by offering the best seats at market price.

7. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Was this a non-issue until the social elite couldn't even get into Hamilton?

not-srs.

8. kidinthebushes

Trusted

I bought me having to identify three pictures with ice cream was supposed to prevent bots from buying tickets.