Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Paul Simon Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by George, Mar 18, 2016.

1. George

Trusted Prestigious

Paul Frederic Simon (born October 13, 1941) is an American musician, singer-songwriter and actor. Simon's fame, influence, and commercial success began as part of the duo Simon & Garfunkel, formed in 1964 with musical partner Art Garfunkel. Simon wrote nearly all of the pair’s songs, including three that reached No. 1 on the U.S. singles charts: "The Sound of Silence", "Mrs. Robinson", and "Bridge over Troubled Water". The duo split up in 1970 at the height of their popularity, and Simon began a successful solo career as a guitarist and singer-songwriter, recording three highly acclaimed albums over the next five years. In 1986, he released Graceland, an album inspired by South African township music. Simon also wrote and starred in the film One-Trick Pony (1980) and co-wrote the Broadway musical The Capeman (1998) with the poet Derek Walcott.

[​IMG]

Essential Albums; Graceland and There Goes Rhymin' Simon to start with. Explore around after there. I'm a big fan of The Rhythm of the Saints too.

2. George

Trusted Prestigious

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

He was always a good lyricist, but for Graceland he hit a whole other level

4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Graceland is absolutely its own league of great. I haven't listened to it in full in a long time. This has definitely inspired me to do that sooner rather than later

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. George

Trusted Prestigious

"The Mississippi Delta was shining like a national guitar. I am following the river down the highway, through the cradle of the civil war."

The imagery on Graceland is beautiful.

Meerkat and cshadows2887 like this.
  6. cshadows2887

I was thinking of this exact passage when I made that post.

George likes this.
  7. George

Trusted Prestigious

Great minds! It's an extraordinarily evocative verse.

8. George

Trusted Prestigious

He has a new album coming out called Stranger to Stranger on June 3rd.

Here's a live performance of Wristband on Jools Holland from yesterday;

9. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

bought s/t on vinyl last week and it's hardly left my turntable

one of my favorite album covers ever too

10. cshadows2887

That parka!

Aregala likes this.
  11. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Just so pleasant and inviting! Fits the music perfectly and just makes you want to play it over and over

cshadows2887 likes this.
  12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I listened to Graceland for the first time a while back this year and never really revisited it until last week, and now I've been listening to it so much. Such a great album I can't believe I've neglected it (and Paul Simon as a whole) for so long.

cshadows2887 and zmtr like this.
  13. zmtr

Trusted

I was right next to the guy recording this.

Please enjoy this. It reduced me to tears.

14. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Graceland is so incredible man

15. tomdelonge

Trusted

Rhythm Of The Saints ❤️

can’t run but and the coast are currently my favorite songs ever

and born at the right time. And spirit voices.

16. OotyPa

fall away

Popping in to say I've recently gotten into Paul Simon. Particularly Graceland and I'm listening to Rhythm of the Saints right now. Absolutely fantastic stuff. What are some of other peoples' favorites?

zmtr likes this.
  17. zmtr

Trusted

listen to Still Crazy After All These Years immediately.

the title track and “Some Folks’ Lives Roll Easy” are my two favorite Paul Simon tracks

OotyPa likes this.
  18. tomdelonge

Trusted

Hearts And Bones for more songs of inner longing

Surprise has a lot of great musical evolution from the Graceland/Rhythm eclecticism

And the first album is pretty perfect, some familiar hits and deep cut heavies

OotyPa likes this.
  19. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

About halfway through Seven Psalms and it's been wonderful so far. I was hoping he had (at least) one more left in him and he delivered