Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Getting To Know Chorus; Cheat Sheet / F.A.Q.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jason Tate, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Jason Tate Mar 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 18, 2018)
    I've developed and designed these forums to be the spiritual successor to AbsolutePunk. The goal was to add a level of familiarity to them for long time members but also add in a whole bunch of new functionality, a much needed coat fresh coat of paint, and improve them from the ground up. To make the transition easier I've put together a little cheat sheet of frequently asked questions and tips for those most familiar with AbsolutePunk and looking to get acclimated with the new forums.

When can I create a thread?

Forum members must be registered at least three days and have at least 20 posts before they can create a thread. This is to help avoid spam or people creating accounts just to make threads / self-promote.

How do I manage the email sent to me?

By default the website will only email you when someone private messages you for the first time. If you would like to turn that off, you can do that right here. You can also turn off all emails from administrators right here. When you follow a thread you're given the option of being able to receive an email when a new post is made in that thread (you'll only get one email for the first new post before you visit again), this can be helpful on very infrequently updated threads when you want to make sure to check in the moment something new is posted. If you have email notifications on for a thread, you can remove them from your followed threads page.

How do I customize notifications?

You can do that right here. The option is also available from the alert menu (top right) and via your control panel. This page will let you set what events on the forum you'd like to get notifications for.

Can I make it work like who quoted me?

You could set the options so that you only get alerts from "quotes" or "mentions." This will then just alert you when you've been directly pinged by a member in a reply. You can also set similar options for profile posts and replies as well.

What's the difference between quote and reply on posts?

Clicking "reply" will quote the post you clicked and take you down to the quick reply box to respond to that specific post. You can also right click the reply button and open a reply in a new tab with that post quoted and full editing options, if you'd like. Clicking "quote" adds the post to your multi-quote queue. This is great for quoting multiple people all at once and then making one reply, instead of a bunch of individual ones. More on multi-quote below.

What is an @reply or mention?

Like Twitter and other platforms you can use the @reply to mention another user on the website. Maybe you have a question for them or want to bring them into a specific thread. This is a great way to alert them that they've been mentioned without having to find a post of theirs to quote. Simply type @ and then start typing their username. The system will give you an autocomplete box after the first three characters are typed. If the member has notifications turned on for @mentions, they'll receive an alert when you make your post.

How do I use multi-quote?

Click "quote" on the posts you would like to multi-quote. This can be multiple posts in one thread, across different pages of the thread, or even from other threads on the website. Clicking "quote" will add that post to the multi-quote queue. When you're ready to make your post - click the "insert quotes" button that appears by the posting box. This is under the reply area on both quick reply and the full reply page (the full reply page can be accessed by clicking "reply to thread" on any thread or "more options" via the quick reply at the bottom of the page). Once you click insert quotes, you'll be able to double check all the quotes you're about to insert, and if you're on a desktop computer you can rearrange the order of them. Hit quote these messages to insert them for posting. Multi-quote also works on mobile.

How do I insert a video (YouTube, Bandcamp, Soundcloud)?

For most platforms you should be able to simply paste a link to the media into the reply box. This works great for YouTube and many other sites like Bandcamp, SoundCloud, etc. You can also click the "video" button and paste a link into the box if you'd like. If you would not like to embed the video, but just link to it, you can highlight text in your post, click the link button, and insert the URL to link to it.

How do I embed a tweet?

You can simply copy and paste a link to a Tweet to have it embedded into your post. If you would not like to embed the Tweet, but just link to it, you can highlight text in your post, click the link button, and insert the URL to link to it.

How do I change my avatar?

You can do that here.

How do I customize my profile?

You can do that here.

How do I set my privacy options?

You can do that here.

Why aren't user post counts and information shown on posts?

A few reasons, one being that we think it leads to better conversations without people making snap judgements about the number of posts someone has. All of that information is available by clicking a user name though. This will launch the mini profile with information that user has shared and their site stats. This is also available on a member's full profile.

How do I use emoji?

Emoji can be inserted using the "smiley" button on the posting interface. There are basic smilies via quick reply and a larger set available via the "more options" posting page. You can also use any of the emoji shortcodes to have it inserted into your post. If you're on mobile you can use the shortcode or turn your device into landscape mode to see all posting options.

What does following another member do?

When you follow a member you'll be able to see their recent activity on your "friend feed." This is a great way to know what's going on with your friends on the site. See what threads they're posting in, their status updates, and make sure you never miss a great conversation. The friend feed is basically a customized version of the recent activity page — but it only shows those members you're following.

What does following a thread do?

If you follow a thread, which you will do by default when you post in it (you can change that option here), it will show up on your followed threads page. This is a great resource to come back to and see what threads you're following have new posts in them (the blue dot on the left, or bold text on mobile). The followed threads page is one of my favorite parts of the site to check every single day. It's easy to glance over and see what threads have updates I want to make sure to go read.

Can I block/ignore someone?

Yes. You can do so from their mini-profile (right-hand side), full profile (right-hand side), or if you're not able to access their profile you can enter their username on your block list page.

What are some other cool tricks on this site I should know about?

The green arrow you see on avatars means that the member is online right now. The new private message system is so much better and works with multiple members to create group chats. And if you highlight text in a post on desktop you get a little pop-up menu that lets you reply to just the highlighted text or add the selected text to your multi-quote queue. It's a whole lot of fun.

How can I support this site?

You can upgrade your account to become a supporting member! You get some cool perks, a special blue badge on your posts and profile, a separate private forum, no advertisements, and you feel good about helping keep this website going.

What's the prestigious user requirement?

15,000 posts and 1 year registration.

Anything else I should know?

Definitely read the code of conduct and rules for the website. You're expected to know them.

If anyone else has other tips or tricks they'd like to share or post about, please feel free to do that. If you have more generalized questions you can post in this thread, submit bug reports here, and request features or ideas here.

2. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Was hoping you'd do this but didn't want to be annoying and ask! Could you maybe add that you can just copy and paste a Soundcloud link now, especially since it was a bit of a task over at AP?

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I used to go to the FAQ on AP all the time to get the smilies page. lol. Looks like I'll be using this one for emojis.

Ahmad2000 and apri andri like this.
  4. Edited that section to add it.

linkvertise and Meerkat like this.
  5. Hah. Other trick, on the bottom of the page the terms/rules link will take you there with a link to the smilies on the left.

linkvertise likes this.
  6. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

After registration, it should redirect to this thread for awhile.

linkvertise likes this.
  7. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

"getting to KNOWN chorus"
    *cough*

8. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

@Jason Tate didn't know where else to post this, but god damnit the completionist in me makes me strive for all the trophies/points and I don't know if I can handle that :tear:

9. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Is there anyway to clear the saved drafts in the text boxes? I like the feature but sometimes I decide to not post at all and then I forget that it's saved so part of it ends up in the next post I make.

10. This usually clears away after a while. It's a caching thing, I think.

linkvertise likes this.
  11. You can delete it, wait the I think it's 90 seconds, and it'll "save" over it.

linkvertise and morgantayler like this.
  12. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

i just noticed under preferences you can change posts per page, threads per page and conversations per page. was that always there? :teethsmile:

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

I just found out about this feature and my mind is blown, this is the best.
    Capture2.PNG

supernovagirl and Jason Tate like this.
  14. :-)

15. alex

notgonz Prestigious

Is there a way to see how many posts each user has in a thread, and to then make it so that you can scroll through just their posts in there? I always found that incredibly useful when trying to find a particular post in a big thread

16. Not exactly. I've got that on my list to make, so you can see how many posts in a thread from each user. However, using the search on a thread you can see all a user's posts in a thread:

[​IMG]

Type a username in that box. Make sure just this thread is checked.

17. alex

notgonz Prestigious

Ah, that works just as well. Awesome/thanks/etc.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but @Jason Tate is there a way I can add someone to a PM/group chat that has already started? It may be obvious. I'm just tech-stupid.

19. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

on the right hand side there should be a list of participants, below that is a link "Invite more"!

Vincentbiz and Jason Tate like this.
  20. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Oh awesome. Thanks.

Like I said...I'm dumb. Haha

Ahmad2000, Jason Tate and Nick like this.
  21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

regarding the group conversations, I noticed you can "lock" a conversation. does that still allow the creator of the thread to post in it? @Jason Tate

Ahmad2000 likes this.
  22. Yes. You an also unlock it later "edit conversation" link at top.

Ahmad2000 likes this.
  23. Kristen

Regular

Not sure if this was answered anywhere yet but will the Tour Discussion forum be included eventually?

24. You can access it by clicking "Sub-Forums" underneath the Music forum. A little hidden, but it makes sense as a sub-forum of Music. Tour Discussion • forum.chorus.fm

Tsani Febri and Jason Tate like this.
  25. Kristen

Regular

Thanks! I guess I should've explored more before asking

Tsani Febri and Ahmad2000 like this.